Monday 16 March 2015

Competitions and reviews and other stuff

Scottish Book Trust are running a competition to win a limited edition slipcase set of The Killing Season and The Samaritan - all you need to do is click here and tell them what your favourite crime book is (no extra points for it being one of mine).


As part of the competition, they also asked me to pick my top six forgotten crime classics, although weirdly only five are showing at the moment (number 6 is Geoffrey Household's awesome Rogue Male, if you're interested). I feel like I cheated a little including A Kiss Before Dying as it's not exactly forgotten, but it's much less well-known than it deserves to be. You'll need to go to the article to find out the rest of my picks.

Speaking of giveaways, there's still lots of time to enter to win a copy of The Killing Season on audiobook, and (not quite a giveaway, but damn near), the ebook is currently on sale at only £1.99 on Amazon.co.uk and Sainsburys in the UK.

Couple of nice reviews around the US hardcover and ahead of the UK paperback release. Book Addict Shaun gave it 4.5 out of 5 and said:

The Killing Season was an exhilarating roller coaster ride of a read and when I finished it I wanted to read it all over again. Brutally fast-paced and brilliantly addictive, I can't recommend this book enough.

Kingdom Books in Vermont liked the way Killing Season operated in the same field as Jack Reacher while changing the pattern somewhat, and said:

Cross provides plot twists that raise the ante, as well as the suspense. Hard to believe this one's a debut; I'll be watching for more of his books.

Simon McDonald thought it was a solid thriller and that:

While there’s nothing innovative on display, The Killing Season is finely crafted with a confidence that rarely radiates from debuts. It’s soundly constructed, and moves quickly, with plenty of action, and a deep-lying conspiracy that propels the novel above the genre’s riff-raff.

Other stuff


Whew, seems like there's a lot to catch up on.

Fiona at Author Interviews gives yours truly the third degree about who I am and how I came to be.

I've confirmed a few more events and will be announcing them as soon as I can, so check the events page next time you drop by.

I've been busy over at the Murder Room, with the latest of my and Steve Cavanagh's Bosch reviews, as well as blogs on three movie-inspiring noir classics: The Maltese Falcon, Cape Fear and Psycho.

And speaking of Steve Cavanagh, his debut novel The Defence is finally out - it starts with a head in a bag, a kidnapping, and a bomb strapped to the hero and gets more exciting from there. It's awesome, go buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment